Diabetes is a disease in which your body cannot use all the glucose that it produces, resulting in a condition known as hyperglycemia or “high blood sugar.” When you eat your body turns your food into a sugar called glucose. Your blood carries glucose throughout your body along with a hormone called insulin. When these two reach a cell, the insulin unlocks the cell and allows it to use the glucose for energy. If you have diabetes, either there isn’t enough insulin to go around or the cells reject your body’s natural insulin, so the glucose remains and builds up in your blood.
Untreated diabetes increases your risk for many other health problems, such as:
- Heart Attack
- Poor Circulation (and related problems)
- Eye Problems (including blindness)
- Kidney Damage (including kidney failure)
- Nerve Damage
- Skin Diseases
- Gum Disease (and other mouth-related problems)
- Foot Problems (often caused by nerve damage and poor circulation)
The good news is that Goodrich Pharmacy offers testing, care, and consultation to measure your blood sugar levels as well as to control and manage your diabetes.
Types of Diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes results when your body is unable to produce enough insulin, a condition known as insulin deficiency.
- Type 2 diabetes results when your body cannot properly use the insulin it produces, a condition known as insulin resistance. (Approximately 90 – 95% of Americans diagnosed with diabetes have Type 2 diabetes.)
- Pre-diabetes is a condition where your blood glucose level is higher than normal, but not high enough to indicate type 2 diabetes.
- Gestational diabetes is a temporary condition where a woman develops a higher than normal blood glucose level during pregnancy. (Approximately 4% of all American pregnant are diagnosed with gestational diabetes each year.)
Whether you need a single blood sugar test or a series of consultations, Goodrich Pharmacy can provide the options you need:
- Diabetes Management Consultation
- Additional Follow-up Consultations
*This service available at these locations:
- Elk River
- St. Francis